- 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- Thousands of Criminal Cases
- All Criminal Charges in All Courts
Throughout New Jersey and
New York City
- Municipal Court Cases
- Juvenile Cases
- Criminal Appeals
Criminal Defense - Personal Injury - Collections
Criminal charges can be frightening. Clients often feel disoriented and intimidated by the system. If not handled properly, a criminal charge can have devastating consequences for anyone, including having a criminal record that will follow you everywhere, payment of significant fines, and jail time. If you are a licensed professional, a criminal charge could cost you your license and your livelihood. If you are a student, it could get you expelled or cost you your financial aid.
But it does not have to be that way. Cases handled logically and methodically will almost always yield the best possible result fot the client. Clients also need to feel like they are being treated like real people with real problems that require an efficient and effective resolution. Experience shows that this approach leads to the best decision making in any criminal case.
This is what James S. Friedman LLC does, and this is what the firm is known for. Centrally located in New Brunswick, New Jersey, we represent adult and juvenile defendants with criminal charges in all state and federal criminal courts throughout New Jersey and New York City. We handle all types of cases - from the most severe violent felonies to municipal matters. If you or someone you know has a charge, contact us to learn about your options, and to start mapping out solutions to your issues.An Emphasis on Client Relations
We provide candid and personalized advice, along with aggressive representation. We understand that our clients benefit from a realistic assessment of their case and a thorough understanding of the potential outcomes of each legal strategy. We approach all matters with the following in mind:
- Personalized service — We listen carefully to our clients and craft strategies designed to achieve each client’s unique goals. We involve clients in decision making, and communicate with them regularly about the status of their matter(s). We want to build positive relationships that will continue long after the conclusion of any single case.
- Focus on reality — We develop a realistic assessment of a particular matter and render advice accordingly.
- Efficient representation — The system is not efficient, but we strive to be. Our desire to represent clients aggressively and develop solutions to legal problems is balanced with a pragmatic, results-oriented approach that focuses on achieving client goals efficiently.
- Preventive advice and counseling — We attempt to anticipate difficulties before they arise and advise clients on how to avoid disruptive, expensive or distracting problems and situations in the future.
- Cases are concluded as quickly as possible — In addition to resolving issues economically and in a way that achieves client goals, we seek to conclude matters as quickly as possible.
We emphasize the following practice areas:Criminal Defense
- Adult and Juvenile Criminal Defense: We represent adult defendants in all state and federal trial courts throughout New Jersey and New York City, including defendants charged with homicide, robbery, carjacking, assault, kidnapping, sex offenses, weapons offenses, child pornography offenses, computer crimes, arson, burglary, theft, white collar crimes, insurance fraud, health care claims fraud, obstruction, and drug/narcotics offenses. We also represent adult defendants in the New Jersey Superior Court in matters involving domestic violence restraining orders.
- Municipal Court Defense: We represent defendants charged with offenses in all New Jersey Municipal Courts, including all vehicle and traffic offenses, driving while intoxicated (DWI), drug offenses, assault charges, and all other municipal violations. We regard municipal charges as very serious even though they do not involve indictable/felony charges.
- Juvenile Criminal Defense: We represent juveniles charged in the New Jersey Superior Court with criminal offenses including drug offenses, sex offenses, assault, robbery, and other serious crimes. We understand that juvenile clients and their families are particularly sensitive to criminal charges because of the effect that an adjudication of delinquency can have on a juvenile’s future, and handle these cases accordingly.
- Criminal Appeals: We represent defendants seeking to appeal convictions from all state and federal trial courts in New Jersey, including convictions from the New Jersey Superior Court, the United States District Court in New Jersey, and all New Jersey municipal courts. We also represent New Jersey prison inmates seeking to appeal adjudications of guilt for violations of institutional rules and procedures, as well as decisions denying parole. We also represent clients on gun permit appeals.
- Other Post-Conviction Matters: We represent clients seeking to be relieved from their Megan’s Law/Community Supervision for Life (“CSL”) or Parole Supervision for Life (“PSL”) obligations. We also represent individuals with sex offenses who seek to challenge their tier assignment, or who seek relocate to another state. We also represent clients accused of probation and parole violations, as well as clients seeking to expunge their criminal records.
- Criminal Defendants with Special Needs: We represent criminal defendants with mental health problems, or drug or alcohol issues. We understand that there is often a close nexus between mental health or addiction issues and criminal behavior. In these cases, treatment options, as opposed to incarceration, may be available.
If you have a criminal case, selecting the right criminal defense attorney can have a lasting impact on your entire future. Regardless of the nature of the charge or the court hearing the case, we will provide client-centered advice and representation tailored to your individual circumstances.Business Litigation & Collections
The goal of every collection case is to convert delinquent accounts into fresh cash for a business. With this in mind, we represent businesses that are owed money for goods sold or services rendered. Our collection clients are owed money in New Jersey, but come to us from within the State, outside the State, and even outside the United States. We can service your New Jersey collection needs regardless of where your business is based.
Commercial clients do not want to be involved in litigation. They simply want to collect the maximum amount due on their outstanding debt in an efficient and cost-effective manner. We work hard to collect outstanding debt without litigation. Where litigation is necessary, we move the case through the court system as promptly as possible. Once we obtain a judgment, we use the latest technology to uncover assets, and pursue debtors aggressively until we collect money.
Account debtors will frequently try to evade payment of a perfectly legitimate obligation by seeking bankruptcy protection. We are thoroughly familiar with the bankruptcy process, and can represent our clients effectively in any bankruptcy court matter.Tax Matters
We represent individual and business taxpayers in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service and New Jersey Division of Taxation. We also represent defendants in cases involving allegations of tax crimes.Choose the Right Lawyer
This is just a brief description of who we are, what we do, and how we do it. You can learn more about the firm on the pages that follow, which we encourage you to read. Once you do so, we know that you will be convinced that we are the right law firm for you, and that you will want to contact us to discuss your case.